A new form of experiencing tourism has emerged, and we’re all for it.
Over the years, tourism has created a tremendous impact on the social, economic, and environmental condition of the world. It has helped many countries develop their wealth and grow into popular destinations. However, each place is unique for its historic and cultural features. To enhance this, many people have switched to “cultural heritage travelling,” which is a wholesome and appreciative method of exploring a place.
The American non-profit organization “Americans for the Arts” describes cultural heritage tourism as a branch of tourism which “involves visiting places that are significant to the past or present cultural identity of a particular group of people.” Travelling this way benefits not only the local culture of the places you visit but also you! It allows you to understand, empathise and integrate with the culture by visiting heritage sites and living like the locals.
Photo: Luca Bravo on Unsplash
Here are a few ways cultural heritage travelling helps you make a positive change:
- Builds relationships with local communities.
- Encourages growth and protection of new and existing communities.
- Promotes local investment in heritage resources that support tourism services.
- Promotes positive behavior towards the culture.
- Increases awareness of the tourist attractions and the area’s significance.
- Encourages local residents and visitors to be mindful of their impact on the environment and heritage sites.
So, if you are looking to ramp up your travel experience for your next vacation and immerse yourself in cultural and historical experiences, we highly recommend travelling with G Adventures and National Geographic.
- Wild Encounters in Rwanda: During this 8-day trip, you will be able to explore the raw and captivating beauty of Rwanda’s teeming wildlife. You will experience everything from mountain gorillas and golden monkeys, to eating lunch made by the locals.
Photo: Maxime Niyomwungeri on Unsplash
- Discovering the Balkans: This 12-day trip will allow you to see and experience the Balkans like never before. From discovering its various UNESCO World Heritage sites to its medieval cities, traveling with G Adventures will truly give you a different taste of Europe.
Photo: Steph Smith on Unsplash
- Explore Machu Picchu: If there’s any way to explore the mesmerizing Machu Picchu, it is this. The 8-day trip with G Adventures allows you to delve into the cultural and historic parts of Peru, from the Inca empire to the UNESCO World Heritage sites.
Photos: Carlos Carvallo, Jeison Higuita and Nathalie Marquis on Unsplash
- Iconic Italy: This 14-day trip from Venice to Rome will make you marvel at Italy’s cultural beauty and historical treasures. You will be able to explore the local streets and markets of Venice, accompany archeologists while exploring the ancient ruins of Pompeii, and even visit the birthplace of Pizza in Naples!
Photo: Tom Podmore on Unsplash
- Nepal, Himalaya Highlights: We doubt you will find any South Asian country with such breathtaking mountains and native beauty as Nepal. In your 10 days at Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal, you will learn about and visit Buddhist monasteries, explore temples and pagodas, catch a glimpse or even fly over the highest peak on the planet: Mount Everest. You will have the opportunity to visit the Chitwan National Park, Nepal’s oldest wildlife reserve and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It would be extremely difficult to find a country with a culture so rich.