Hilary Clinton publicly conceded the election to Donald J. Trump on Wednesday. Her speech was graceful and encouraging, and made it a point to urge everyone to accept Trump’s leadership with an open mind. As the cameras gazed through the audience, they captured many young women in tears, as this confirmed the end of their dream to have Clinton’s as the first female president. While Clinton acknowledged the hurt that her and her supporters share through this loss, she also told Americans to keep believing, that one day (hopefully, sooner than later), this dream of having a woman in the Oval Office will, in fact, become a reality. She also emphasized the importance of ongoing political participation not just for presidential elections, but consistently throughout the years to come. Clinton also expressed how much of an honor it has been representing the Democratic party, and how thankful she is to all her supporters.
In an incredibly moving speech, Clinton reminded Americans that the only way for America to maintain its position as the greatest nation in the world, they must stand together and embrace Trump’s leadership.
7 Inspiring Remarks From Hilary Clinton’s Concession Speech:
- “Last night, I congratulated Donald Trump and offered to work with him on behalf of our country. I hope that he will be a successful president for all Americans.”
- “Our campaign was never about one person or even one election, it was about the country we love and about building an America that’s hopeful, inclusive and big-hearted.”
- “But I still believe in America and I always will. And if you do, then we must accept this result and then look to the future. Donald Trump is going to be our president. We owe him an open mind and the chance to lead.”Our constitutional democracy enshrines the peaceful transfer of power and we don’t just respect that, we cherish it.”
- “Now — and let me add, our constitutional democracy demands our participation, not just every four years but all the time. So let’s do all we can to keep advancing the causes and values we all hold dear; making our economy work for everyone not just those at the top, protecting our country and protecting our planet and breaking down all the barriers that hold any American back from achieving their dreams.“
- “And to the young people in particular, I hope you will hear this. I have, as Tim said, spent my entire adult life fighting for what I believe in. I’ve had successes and I’ve had setbacks. Sometimes, really painful ones. Many of you are at the beginning of your professional public and political careers. You will have successes and setbacks, too. This loss hurts, but please never stop believing that fighting for what’s right is worth it.”
- “And to all the women, and especially the young women, who put their faith in this campaign and in me, I want you to know that nothing has made me prouder than to be your champion. Now, I — I know — I know we have still not shattered that highest and hardest glass ceiling, but some day someone will and hopefully sooner than we might think right now. And — and to all the little girls who are watching this, never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams.”
- “You know, scripture tells us, “Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap if we do not lose heart.” So my friends, let us have faith in each other, let us not grow weary, let us not lose heart, for there are more seasons to come. And there is more work to do.”