For many years I didn’t understand the importance of a “personal brand.” It’s much more than what you see online. It’s your mindset, your daily actions, your schedule and routine, and even your credit score. I’ve made many mistakes as an entrepreneur learning the ropes, but over time I gained a new perspective and I want to share some of those tips with you!
- Think About What You Think About: If you aren’t intentional about your thoughts, you’ll talk yourself out of your dreams. Don’t allow negative thought and doubt to take up rent-free space in your mind all day. Take each negative thought and invert it. Replace it with a positive affirmation that you speak aloud and let it rewire your mindset.
- Establish Your Standards: Know what you will and won’t do for money. Money isn’t success. How you make the money is success. If you don’t have standards, values, and a code you live by, you have nothing. Don’t lose yourself in pursuit of success. I’ve been down that road, and I can tell you that it’s not worth it.
- Protect Your Name: You have a credit score for a reason. That also applies to life. A person who is a good person with good intentions will be intentional about paying their debtors on time and keeping their name in good standing. The same way you want a high FICO score, think about your FICO score in real life with your colleagues and coworkers. Who are you? What do people say about you when you’re not around? What’s your credit like?
- Create Assets: An asset is more than real estate. It can be your book, blog, YouTube channel, social media presence, product, or company. Don’t let your gifts sit idle. Use them to secure your future and make the world a better place. Today, people are earning a living in ways their ancestors never imagined possible. Don’t sit on the sidelines. Use your gifts to create assets.
- Pay It Forward: Don’t hoard your blessings. Find a way to help others. You always hear that you should have a mentor, but it’s equally as important that you have a mentee. When you pay it forward, you tap into real success. It means nothing to get it all and not find a way to share it.
- Secure Your Circle: Make sure the people around you are helpers and not hurting. A lot of people who think they’ve found success are surrounded by leeches. Make sure the people in your circle bring something to the table that makes the group stronger, not weaker. Your circle also represents you. Eagles and Turkeys aren’t in the same circle.
- Lead In Love: You want to be a leader? Serve! We often confuse leadership with being bossy. You can be a boss without being bossy. Lead by example. Lead in love. Lead in service. If you can find that balance, you’ll leave a legacy that speaks for itself.
I hope these 7 tips help round out your pursuit of success and better explain what your personal brand really means. And so that you can remember that success is what you say it is. No matter what you do in life, you’re a brand that represents your family and that counts for something. You don’t have to have 1 million followers online to be important and to create meaningful success in our world. Keep going!