Those post-holiday blues can hit hard–even in sunny Los Angeles. But especially in those cold weather destinations (hello, majority of the USA!), folks are imagining sitting on top deckside of a cruise, pina colada in hand, instead of preparing to shovel their minivan out of the driveway for the umpteenth time.
This particular time of the year broods feelings so familiar that it’s even been given a name: “wave season” occurs now, in the middle of January, when travelers, feeling housebound due to weather, start thinking about (and eventually booking!) their dream holidays.
Priceline, the online travel agency for finding discount rates for travel-related purchases such as airline tickets and hotel stays, shares some insider tips for making the most out of “wave season” and gives some advice about booking a smooth sailing to L.A. STYLE Magazine. Priceline offers trips on the most popular cruise lines, including Carnival, Celebrity, Cunard, Disney Cruise Line, Norwegian, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Silversea, Windstar, and more. And, fun fact: Priceline is again offering cruisers great deals and perks on 2023 cruises, starting at $50+ per night.
Tips for Smooth Sailing During Wave Season
By Denise Bialek, Senior Director of Cruise at Priceline
- Don’t miss the boat!: Priceline recommends travelers arrive at least one day before setting sail. This provides the opportunity to handle flight delays or cancellations that could impact vacationers’ ability to check in to the ship on time.
- What NOT to pack: Cruise lines have some safety policies, and it’s best to know them in advance. Here are a few things that should be on your no-pack list: Clothing irons and/or steamers are not permitted on board, as they present potential fire hazards & gifts should be unwrapped to get through security checks.
- Book right away: When you book your cruise, book your dining reservations and port excursions. Also: specialty dining restaurants & port excursions can book up early, especially for large groups.
According to Priceline data, the most popular destinations trending now for cruising are the Caribbean, the Bahamas, and Mexico.
Deals For Trending Destinations
- Royal Caribbean Bahamas 3-night cruise departing from Fort Lauderdale starting at $76 per night
- Royal Caribbean Eastern Caribbean 7-night cruise departing from Miami starting at $70 per night
- Holland America Line Tropical Caribbean with Turks & Caicos 7-night cruise departing from Fort Lauderdale starting at $71 per night
- Norwegian Cruise Line Western Caribbean 7-night cruise departing from New Orleans starting at $67 per night
- Princess Cruises Western Caribbean with Mexico 7-night cruise departing from Galveston, TX starting at $55 per night
Sale for Sailing: Cruisers can receive up to $1,000 in onboard credits (a deal not available anywhere else), up to $1,000 cashback deals on last-minute sailings, up to $1,000 luxury cruise travel credit, and a loyalty club membership program for repeat guests.